Deadline: 31 January 2024
- The goal is to showcase the breadth and depth of Black artistry in the area. Creatives working in any medium are encouraged to submit their ideas. This may include but is not limited to:
- alternative audio (podcast, spoken word)
- cinematic art
- decorative arts (enamelwork, mosaic)
- music (as composition)
- performing arts (theatre, dance, music)
- textile or fabric art
- written (poetry, drama, story)
- visual or graphic arts created in physical or digital format (painting, drawing, illustration, mural)
- Selected artists will receive a grant of $1,500-$5,000 each to bring their projects to life.
- A committee of prominent Black Philadelphia professionals in the arts, media, and business will judge the final round of applicants to be awarded the $125,000 in grant funding available for 2024.
- Applicants must be:
- African American/Black
- 18 years or older
- Residing or working in the Greater Philadelphia area: PA, NJ, DE
- Able to complete the work by May 31, 2024
- Available periodically from February 2024 through May 2024 for “check-in” videos with the BMC Team
- Available to participate in the concluding celebration event in June 2024.
- Local Black creatives working in any medium can apply for grants that will provide financial and promotional support for new, original works that honor Philly’s rich Black music history.
- The Selected Artists from last year’s project are eligible to apply and win this year.
- Only one application per individual.
- All project descriptions will be reviewed and rated according to the following criteria:
- Storytelling & Theme: The project will tell a clear, significant & relevant story that fits the theme of this program.
- Creativity: The project will be produced in a unique, innovative style.
- Personal Opinion: The selector really enjoys the concept/idea of the project submission.
- Past Work/Resume: The applicant’s past work proves they can accomplish their vision.
For more information, visit Black Music City.